Email Comparison Table
The “Wall 1-4” references in the above table pertain to making sure you are protected in the 4 major ways. We talk more about this HERE.
CTemplaris located in Iceland which is the only country in the world that designed it’s privacy laws to protect whistleblowers like Edward Snowden (Icelandic Data Laws). Iceland has also been recognized as one of the best locations for privacy and data protection. (Techwibe Reference) (BigData Reference)
- CTemplar ’s code is open source and has been reviewed to be free of malicious code. Additionally, we implemented checksums to provide strong assurance that users code is not tampered with. This makes us the first secure email service that can give users assurance of “Zero Access” to their own data. (Read more here)
- Hushmail can access their user’s password and encryption keys. This was proven when they gave decrypted emails to law enforcement for court cases. (News Reference)
- Hushmail resides in Canada and is, therefore, part of the “14 Eyes” information sharing group (Reference 14 Eyes). Edward Snowden revealed that a group of 14 countries, including Canada, cooperate to provide “Whole Planet” and “total surveillance” by illegally collecting emails, texts, and phone calls within their own country and sharing them with other member countries. Therefore if you use a 14 eyes service, your email could be shared between all 14 eyes countries. These countries are Germany, Belgium, Italy, Sweden, Spain, Denmark, France, Netherlands, Norway, United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand.
- Hushmail is financed and controlled by a combination of US corporations and individuals. The largest investor seems to be Western Pacific Trust as they installed a member of their board of directors as Hushmails CEO.
- Tutanota ’s security architecture allows them to decrypt their own users encrypted content. Because they serve code from a private server with no assurance users receive the same code from
. Therefore it is possible for them to serve malicious code without their user’s knowledge. github
- Wikileaks reports that Germany supports and protects FinFisher who sells weaponized privacy abusing software that is used illegally in countries across the world. Edward Snowden revealed that a group of 14 countries (Called “14 Eyes”), including Germany, cooperate to provide “Whole Planet” and “total surveillance” of citizens by illegally collecting emails, texts, and phone calls within their own country and sharing them with other member countries. Therefore if you use a German service, your email could be shared between all 14 eyes countries. These countries are Germany, Belgium, Italy, Sweden, Spain, Denmark, France, Netherlands, Norway, United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand.
- Tutanota does not allow usable anonymous accounts created on TOR. They allow the creation of an account on TOR and it is then they automatically disable it.
- Tutanota has accepted financing from the European Union (Reference). This contract is kept private.
- Protonmail admitted on Reddit they are able to serve malicious code to their users. This admitted this can allow them to decrypt their own users encrypted content. This was also confirmed by Wired when it stated Protonmail “could serve malicious code to a targeted individual” (News Reference), and Professor Nadim Kobeissi academic research (Research Reference)
- Swiss/US MLAT treaty could require
Protonmailsend all their users data to the USA if requested. (MLAT Treaty Reference). Edward Snowden stated that although some agreements and treaties are old they are utilized extensively today. Once the USA has received Protonmail’s data it could be shared with all “14 Eyes Countries”. It would then be available and search-ableby government officials or civilian contractors working for the government in these 14 countries. Germany, Belgium, Italy, Sweden, Spain, Denmark, France, Netherlands, Norway, United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand.
- Protonmail’s default security settings track login data. Additionally, Swiss/US MLAT treaty can require Swiss Email services track users location even if they disable IP tracking in their settings page. “… shall make every effort to ascertain the whereabouts and addresses of such persons” (MLAT Treaty Reference).
- Protonmail sold part or full control of their company to the global corporation Charles Rivers Ventures (Protonmail/CRV Reference). CRV also has part ownership in other companies including Twitter, Patreon and Zendesk (CRV Reference). Some of these sister companies work for/with the FBI, CIA, NSA
andInterpol. Some sister companies are being investigated for censoring free speech, privacy violations, human rights abuses andpolitical bias.
- Protonmail announced on twitter that it used a hacking team to illegally attack a suspects server (News Reference). Once it was determined to be illegal, censorship was utilized to hide it. No charges were pressed.
- The Swiss voted to give up more privacy freedoms (News Reference). They also abandoned old banking privacy laws. (News Reference)
- Protonmail’s website states “If you are Edward Snowden, or the next Edward Snowden (meaning a whistleblower)… we would not recommend using ProtonMail”
- Protonmail does not allow anonymous account signup. If a user tries to make an account using a VPN or TOR they require your personal phone number or your payment information.